Tell us that someone has died

Before we can adjust a council tax account, the persons death must be lawfully registered. Please visit our Salford Register Office page for more information about registering a death.

Once the death has been registered, you can use the form below to let our council tax team know that someone who is responsible for council tax, or someone in your household, has passed away. We will then update the account and issue a new bill, if appropriate.

  • If the person was an occupier and lived alone, the property will be exempt from council tax until their tenancy ends or until probate is granted if they owned the property. If the property is not sold, charges will become due six months after probate has been granted.  
  • If you are the partner of the person who has passed away, and you confirm that you are now the only adult in the household, we will give you a single person discount.
  • If the person who has passed away was claiming housing benefit and or Council Tax Reduction, we will end their claim from the date they died. If you are a surviving partner and you are on a low income you can make a new claim for Council Tax Reduction. Visit our benefits pages to find out more.   
  • If the council tax account has been overpaid, we will transfer any credit to the new account for the surviving adult(s) in the household or refund it to the executor of the estate of the person who is responsible for the personal affairs of the person who has passed away.

Tell us about a death

Rate this page