Travel and transport

Car drivers and passengers

Passengers, as well as car drivers, can have a Blue Badge depending on their disability. Blue Badge holders can also apply for disabled parking bays (these cost £75) and dropped kerb (average cost is over £1000) outside their home.

Lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair with the Motability scheme. The car may be adapted for your use. Other people can drive the car, as long as it is mainly for your benefit. 

Public transport

Disabled people (including people with mental health problems) and older people may be able to use reduced fare or free public transport.

If you can not use public transport, TfGM travel vouchers can be used to help pay for taxis, private hire vehicles and transport schemes anywhere in Greater Manchester at a cost of £30 for £120 worth of travel for 12 months. If you are not currently a member, please phone 0161 244 1000 for an application form.

To qualify for travel vouchers you must:

  • be registered as blind; or
  • get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with the higher rate mobility component; or
  • get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with 8 points or more for moving around; or
  • get higher rate Attendance Allowance; or
  • get War Pensioners Mobility Supplement; or
  • if you don't get any of those benefits, but you can't walk 100 metres, or climb steps of 30 centimetres – as long as a doctor confirms this.

You can't use vouchers if you already have a travel pass or travel plus pass for disabled people.

Depending on your disability, you could qualify for either a travel pass for disabled people or a travel plus pass for disabled people. 

Please see the travel pass for disabled people page on the TfGM website for more information.

Door to door transport

Ring and Ride provides a door-to-door minibus service for people who find it very difficult to use ordinary public transport. Ring and Ride operate short local journeys up to six miles seven days a week between 8am and 10.45pm Monday to Saturday and 8am and 10.25pm on Sundays. All vehicles are fully accessible, with low steps, wheelchair friendly tail-lifts and professionally trained drivers who will assist you to travel in comfort and safety. If you would like more information about Ring and Ride, please phone 0161 200 6011 or 0845 688 4933 between 8am to 10.30pm. Register before using the service by calling 0845 688 4933 and then book a day in advance, when you want to use a bus.

Local Link (telephone 0845 605 5505) offers flexible and accessible door to door public transport in parts of Salford.

Community Transport provides group travel for voluntary and community groups. Telephone 0845 077 2246.

Patient Transport Service (PTS) (telephone 0345 112 0999) is a non-emergency service for people who may need special support getting to and from their hospital healthcare appointments. To find out if you’re eligible you will need to contact your local booking centre who will ask you some simple questions about your medical condition and your mobility.  It is essential that the correct mobility is booked to ensure suitable transport is provided.

Being There (telephone 0845 123 23 29) Being There has a small team of volunteer drivers who can take people with life limiting illnesses to hospital appointments and to their social groups. If you would like to access the transport service, please contact on 0845 123 23 29.

Macmillan offer a volunteer drivers’ scheme for people living in the Irlam and Cadishead area. Find out more on the Macmillan information and support page.

Taxis and private hire

If you are booking either a taxi or private hire vehicle, make sure to let the company know about any particular needs you have - for example: knocking on the front door; giving you a little extra time; communication needs; whether you can get in and out of a saloon-type care or need something with a higher seat.

Trains and trams

Information about how to make rail travel for disabled people easier and how disabled people may be eligible for a Disabled Person's Railcard.

If your local station is not accessible, the train company should pay for you to go to an accessible station.

Metrolink has produced an accessibility guide.

Wheelchair hire and transport assistance

Hire a wheelchair from the British Red Cross provides short term loan of medical equipment such as wheelchairs, for people with a disability or illness. Telephone 01925 229740.

Helping Hands have a equipment loan service for mobility aids.

Adult social care is now provided by Northern Care Alliance

This page was last updated on 1 February 2023

Help to get out and about

Rate this page