Blue badges

Blue Badges allow disabled people to park closer to where they need to. Blue badge holders can be either the driver or the passenger of a vehicle they travel in.

In England, blue badge holders may generally park:

  • On single or double yellow lines for up to three hours, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading
  • At 'on-street' parking meters and pay-and-display machines for free and for as long as they need to

Organisations which transport disabled people can apply for organisational blue badges.

Automatic entitlement

You are automatically entitled to a blue badge if any of the following apply:

  • You receive the enhanced rate PIP (Personal Independence Payment) for moving around
  • You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA (Disability Living Allowance)
  • You are registered blind
  • You receive a War Pensioner's mobility supplement

If your PIP or DLA is for less than three years, then your blue badge will run out at the same time. 

Discretionary entitlement

You may be entitled to a blue badge if you are two years old or over and:

  • Drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms which makes it very difficult or impossible to use parking meters
  • Have a permanent and sustainable disability which makes walking very difficult or impossible

Children under two years old may be entitled to a blue badge if they:

  • Have a condition where they need to be accompanied by bulky medical equipment, which is difficult to carry round
  • Have a condition where they need quick access to a motor vehicle, so that they can be treated in the vehicle, or taken quickly somewhere they can be treated

For children under two years of age, the blue badge will be issued for a maximum of two years, and will automatically expire on their third birthday. If a badge is still required after the child reaches the age of three, an application will be considered under the automatic or assessed criteria.

How to apply

The quickest and easiest way to apply for new or renewal applications is online:

You can also download an application form from the bottom of this page.

If you can't print the form at home you can come to one of our Gateway Centres or the Broughton Hub where someone will print a copy and offer you support to complete the form.

Scan Zone

Scan Zone

If you’re applying for a blue badge using a paper form you can submit your application and any supporting documents by visiting one of our Scan Zones. Scan Zones are located in all the Gateways and Broughton Hub, they are touch screen, tablet devices that allow customers to self-scan documents.

Read more about Scan Zones 


However you apply you will need one passport sized photograph. If you are applying on paper please write your name on the back of the photograph.

If you find it difficult to use a photo booth, you can have your photograph taken at accessible facilities at the blue badge office, Gateway Centres or Broughton Hub.

Lost or stolen badges

If your badge has been lost or stolen, you must report this to the police. You will be issued with a crime reference number which you must submit to us.

Tackling abuse and misuse

The badge is only valid for the person it has been issued to. Their details will be printed on it. It must not be used by any one else.

It is an offence to park a vehicle in a designated disabled parking bay without a valid blue badge being clearly displayed. The badge must be displayed the correct way up, otherwise you will receive a parking ticket.

If you suspect that a person is misusing a blue badge you should contact the Blue Badge Team on 0161 793 2500 with the details of the badge and the person using the badge.

Frequently asked questions

Where do I return the form to?

Blue Badge Section
Unity House
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

Who do I make the cheque/postal order payable to?

Salford City Council

Do I need to complete all the form if I am in receipt of Disability Living Allowance Higher Rate Mobility Component or Personal Independent Payment Moving Around Enhanced Rate?

There are different forms depending on whether you qualify automatically or not for a blue badge. You will need to complete all of the appropriate form.

Do I need to send certified copies of my photo's and I.D?

We require a photocopy of supporting documents and one passport size photograph but this does not need to be certified.

My badge is due to expire, what do I need to do?

You should have received an application form eight weeks before it runs out. If you have not received a form you can apply online or download a form below.

Do I need to fill in the form if I am renewing my badge?

Yes. Each application is treated as a new application.

When will I receive my badge?

You will usually receive your blue badge within six weeks of us receiving the form and supporting information, photo's and payment. The new badge will have a start date printed on it. You cannot use the badge until that date.

What do I do with my old badge?

Once the badge has expired please return it to:

Blue Badge Section
Unity House
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

Why do I need to record my vehicle registration?

Although the blue badge can be used for any vehicle you are travelling in, by supplying us with this information, we can reduce the amount of fraud and misuse, making it easier for you to benefit from your badge.

Where can I get more information?

You can also contact the Initial Enquiry Support Service:
Telephone: 0844 463 0213
Write to: Blue Badge Unit
Information Solutions
Wellington House
Wynyward Park
Billingham TS22 5TB

Alternatively, you can contact using the blue badge contact form

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Parking, roads and travel

Rate this page