Frequently asked questions about Blue Badges

If you have any questions about Blue Badges please see our frequently asked questions below.

Where do I return supporting information to?

You can return them to any of the following places:

Who do I make the cheque/postal order payable to?

Salford City Council

How long does a Blue Badge last for?

A badge is issued for a maximum of three years. Badges can end sooner if there is an end to any eligible benefits, for example Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS).

In the case of a child under three years of age, the badge will expire on the day after their third birthday. They will then need to apply for a Blue Badge in the same way as other children over the age of three.

Lost or stolen badges

You can apply for a replacement badge online. There is a £10 admin fee for any replacement. A new photo is required and you can have this taken free of charge at your nearest Gateway Centre or Broughton Hub, you will also need to provide proof of address and proof of identity. This can be uploaded using our Blue Badge contact form or taken into your nearest Gateway Centre or Hub.

For a Blue Badge what do you accept as proof of address and proof of identity?

Acceptable proof of address

  • Council tax bill within the last 12 months
  • DWP award letter
  • Consent to check on the council tax database
  • Consent to check address on the electoral register
  • Utility bill or bank statement dated within the last three months.
  • Local authority/education letter, which refers to your child and shows their address

Acceptable proof of identity

  • Valid driving licence
  • Valid passport
  • Birth/adoption certificate
  • Marriage/divorce certificate
  • Civic partnership/dissolution certificate

What happens if I move address?

If you move address please inform the blue badge team, and provide proof of your new address. We will then update our records. This will ensure your renewal reminder letter or any correspondence relating to your blue badge is sent to the correct address.

Please use our Blue Badge Contact form where you can upload your proof of address.

Lost or need an up-to-date mobility component PIP/DLA (higher rate) award letter?

If you have lost your PIP decision letter or it is not dated within the last 12 months please contact the DWP for a replacement by: 

  • Telephone 0800 121 4433
  • Textphone 0800 121 4493

Their helpline is open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

If you have lost your DLA decision letter or it is not dated within the last 12 months please contact the DWP for a replacement by: 

Their helpline is open from 7.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday.

My badge is due to expire and needs renewing, what do I need to do?

You should have received a reminder eight weeks before it runs out. All renewals must now be done online.

When will I receive my Blue Badge?

You will usually receive your Blue Badge within six weeks of us receiving the form and supporting information, photo's and payment. The new badge will have a start date printed on it. You cannot use the badge until that date.

How to amend my preferred contact method

If you would like to change your preferred method of contact then please complete our online form and we will change this for you. Please include the details for the new contact method, for example, if you choose to change to email then include your email address.

What do I do with my old badge?

Once the badge has expired please return it to:

Why do I need to record my vehicle registration?

Although the Blue Badge can be used for any vehicle you are travelling in, by supplying us with this information, we can reduce the amount of fraud and misuse, making it easier for you to benefit from your badge.

What are my rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge holder?

Find out your rights and responsibilities on the GOV.UK website.

I have a hidden disability. Am I entitled to a Blue Badge? 

Please consider applying for a Blue Badge if you have a non-visible (hidden) condition, causing you to severely struggle with journeys between a vehicle and your destination, and you either:

  • Have very considerable difficulty whilst walking, including very considerable psychological distress
  • Cannot undertake a journey without there being a risk of serious harm to that person or any other person

If one or more of these are relevant to you, apply using the online form further up this page.

What happens if my application is refused?

You can ask us to reconsider your case if you think this is unfair.

This must be done in writing and within four weeks of your refusal date, stating the reasons why you think the decision is incorrect, and provide any further supporting medical evidence. If medical proof is not sent to us, this is unlikely to change the original outcome of the application.

Once we have reconsidered your case if the decision still stands, and you still think it’s unfair, you can ask for an appeal.

This must be done in writing within four weeks of your reconsideration date. Please provide any new information or supporting medical evidence to be considered.

The decision is final and there is no further right of appeal, however, if your mobility circumstances change you can re-apply for a badge six months after notification of the final outcome of your appeal.

If your circumstances change and you become automatically eligible for a blue badge you can apply straight away.

Where can I get more information?

Visit the GOV.UK website and search for Blue Badges.

Alternatively, you can contact using the Blue Badge contact form.

Where can I get a replacement blue badge clock?

If you have lost your clock, you can pick one up free of charge, from one of the following places:

This page was last updated on 24 September 2020

Rate this page