Dropped kerbs: car access to properties

Any access onto a public highway from a residential or commercial driveway should have a 'dropped kerb'.

Commercial crossings

For commercial crossings, telephone 0161 603 4023.

Residential properties

Do I need a dropped kerb?

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a road, then you will need a dropped kerb. It is an offence to drive over a footway without proper dropped kerbs.

Who undertakes the work?

Residents wishing to have a vehicular access crossing constructed can download the relevant information at the bottom of this page. Please contact us using the details below if you would like printed copies of this information.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain the necessary quotations for the work from any of the contractors on the approved list.

Approved contractors

Company name Address Contact name Telephone numbers Email address
Argyle North West Construction Limites 295 Manchester Road, Walkden, M28 3HH Not applicable 0161 288 5400 info@argylenw.co.uk
Utilities Design and Planning Limited Astor Road
M50 1BB
Not applicable 0161 907 1234 civils@udpltd.co.uk
General Utilities North West Ltd Unit 1 Boundary Trading Park, Liverpool Road, Irlam, Manchester, M44 6FB Not applicable 0161 776 0011 info@generalutilitiesnorthwest.co.uk
Pioneer Paving
Contractors Ltd
110 Fir Street
M44 5AG
Mark Culleton 07546 944400 pioneerpavingcontractorsltd@outlook.com

All contractual arrangements will be between the applicant and their nominated contractor although the work will be supervised by a representative of Salford City Council to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions specified.

I don't have a dropped kerb for my access

If you do not have an approved dropping crossing you must not drive over the footway. If you do so you are breaking the law and enforcement action may be taken to prevent such use. You may also be liable for any damage to the surface of the footway caused by your vehicle. You may have to defend yourself against a claim should someone have an accident as a result of any damage resulting from any unauthorised use or inadequate construction. You may be faced with prosecution via a magistrates' court and a bill for any necessary repairs.

Do I need planning permission for a dropped kerb?

Planning permission is only needed for dropped kerbs if the access is on a road designated as a classified main road, ie A, B or C roads as outlined below. Please go to our planning application page or telephone 0161 779 6195 for further guidance.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Who to contact

Technical Services
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AS
Map to this location

This page was last updated on 15 March 2022

Rate this page