Outside seating areas

Salford City Council is supporting local business owners on the high streets. If you are a hospitality business (such as pub, wine bar, restaurant, or café) you may be looking at opportunities to place tables and chairs outside your business or increase existing provision. To do so you will need to apply for a formal outside seating area licence.

How do I apply?

Outside seating area licences are managed by the Highways Department at the council. Enquiries can be emailed to LicensingEnquiries@salford.gov.uk

What will happen once I’ve applied?

  • There is a public consultation period of seven days beginning with the day after the day on which the application is made.
  • You will need to display a public notice at your premises advising people of your application to the council.
  • The council may grant the application as long as certain criteria are met (mainly the ability for pedestrian footfall to safely pass and re-pass the outside seating area).
  • Outside Seating Area licences in Salford can currently be issued for 12 month period, or such time as the council specifies in the licence. The licence period cannot be less than three months.
  • The council may include conditions with the pavement licence which may be different to standard conditions for tables and chairs licences.
  • The council can also apply to revoke the licence if it considers the conditions have been breached or serve notice on the licence holder requiring specific actions.

What will it cost?

The fee is £160 per 12 months.

What will I need to provide?

  • You will need to include a scale plan of the proposed licensed area with your application.
  • Details of the furniture and any barriers you are planning to use.
  • Confirmation of your public liability insurance (minimum £10 million) 

For further information and an application form, please contact LicensingEnquiries@salford.gov.uk

This page was last updated on 8 April 2024

Rate this page