How can I make a change to my premises licence?

These application forms can only be used for existing premises licences. If your premises does not already hold a licence you must make an application for a new one.

In order to make changes to an existing premises licence, such as transferring a licence, or varying the designated premises supervisor, plan or operating schedule, you must submit a formal application. You can submit an application and make payment for your application online using the link below.

Before you start

Please read these important instructions: 

  1. You will need your premises licence number. This can be found at the top of your licence or on our public register.
  2. You must download and complete the relevant application which you can find in the relevant box below.
  3. Complete the 'Make a change to a premises or club premises certificate' form using the button below. You must upload the signed and completed application form and make the appropriate payment by debit or credit card. If you fail to upload the application form, your request cannot be actioned. Application forms are available to download below.

Things you can and cannot do

You will only be able to select one change at a time. If you would like to make several amendments to your licence (for example a transfer and a variation of the DPS) you should submit the applications separately.

If you submit two application forms on one transaction, or select the incorrect payment amount for the application submit, you will be required to resubmit the applications correctly.

Make a change to a premises or club premises certificate

Theft, loss, etc of premises licence or summary

A copy of a premises licence must always remain on the premises unless an application is in progress. Part B of the application must be clearly displayed on the premises for customers to see. If you have lost your premises licence you will need to request a copy and pay the fee.

If you require a replacement premises licence, but also want to amend the licence, please apply for the changes before applying for a replacement licence.

The fee is £10.50

Application for transfer of a premises licence

If you are taking over the operation of a licenced premises and the existing premises licence holder is no longer involved in the operation of the premises, you must apply for the premises licence to be transferred into your name or a relevant entity, for example Limited Company. You must be over the age of 18 to hold a premises licence.

You must obtain consent from the existing licence holder. An application may be granted without the consent if the applicant can demonstrate they have taken all reasonable attempts to obtain consent.

There is a 14 day representation period for a transfer application. If no representation is submitted within that period the application will be granted and the licence will be issued.

The fee is £23

Application to vary licence to specify individual as designated premises supervisor

Any licenced premises that authorises the sale of alcohol must nominate an individual as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). A DPS will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the premises and upholding the conditions on the licence.

Only the licence-holder can make an application to vary the DPS.

An individual must be over the age of 18 and hold a valid personal licence to be named as a DPS.

More information on the role of the DPS and the consent form are available on our designated premises supervisors page.

The fee is £23

Notification of change of name or address

The authority must be notified as soon as possible if the licence-holder or the DPS of a premises licence has changed their name or address.

This form is only for amending the details of the existing person(s) on the licence. If a new person or company has taken over the premises or a new person is to be named as the DPS, please use the applications above.

The fee for amending details is £10.50

Right of a freeholder to be notified of licensing matters 

This application should be used by a person with a property interest in a licensed premise to be notified of any changes to the premises licence. A person has property interest if:

  • They have a legal interest as a freeholder or leaseholder
  • They are a legal mortgagee in respect of the premises
  • They are in occupation of the premises
  • They have a prescribed interest in the premises

A notice has effect for a period of 12 months from the date the application is submitted.

The fee is £21

Minor variation 

This application should be used when making small changes to your premises licence that do not require a full variation. You should make a minor variation application for the following:

  • small changes to the structure/layout of the premises
  • revisions and additions to the conditions on a licence
  • the addition of late night refreshment or regulated entertainment to a licence

If you are unsure whether you need a minor variation or a full variation, please contact with details of your proposed change and an officer will advise you.

If you wish to make changes to the layout of a premises you must supply appropriate plans.

The fee for a minor variation is £89

Vary a premises licence

This application should be used when making such variations as:

  • extending the hours of existing licensable activities
  • adding licensable activities to your application
  • removing conditions of an existing licence
  • a major change to the structure/layout of the premises

If you are unsure whether you need to submit a minor or a full variation, please contact with details of your proposed change and an officer will advise you.

There is a 28 day representation period for this application, during which the variation will need to be advertised in blue notices around the premises and by newspaper advertisement.

Please do not begin advertising your variation until you have received confirmation that the application has been approved by Licensing.

The fee for a variation depends on the current rateable value of your premises

You will need to submit this application to and make payment over the phone by debit or credit card.

Surrendering a premises licence

If the licence-holder no longer wants to licence their premises they must submit notice in writing to

Only the licence-holder can surrender a premises licence.

Please note that if a premises licence is surrendered a brand new application will have to be submitted for the premises should the existing or a new licence-holder wish to resume licensable activities from that premises.

There is no fee for surrendering a premises licence

Rate this page