The Greater Manchester Act 1981 requires all hairdressers and barbers to be registered with the local authority.
This is a free, one off registration. Following your application, an environmental health officer will visit your premises to check, in addition to general health and safety issues, that in accordance with the authority's bylaws:
- The structure is suitable, in good repair and can be thoroughly cleaned/disinfected
- Furniture and equipment is cleansable
- Protective clothing, towels, cloths are suitable and clean
- Combs, brushes and other instruments are disposable or thoroughly cleansed/disinfected where necessary
- Waste, including sharps/clinical waste, is disposed of correctly
Following the initial registration, the premises will be risk rated to determine the frequency of the following health and safety inspections.
Register as a hairdresser or barber
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.