Temporary pavement licences

Salford City Council is supporting local business owners as high streets reopen and social distancing measures are still in place due to the coronavirus pandemic. A fast track application process has been put in place to allow businesses throughout Salford to apply for outdoor seating space to help them reopen safely. Fees for temporary licences have been waived.

If you are a hospitality business (such as pub, wine bar, restaurant or café) you may be looking at opportunities to place tables and chairs outside your business or increase existing provision on a temporary basis. To do so you will need to apply for a Temporary Pavement Licence.

Business operators, whether or not they already hold a current tables and chairs and pavement licence, can apply to the council for a temporary pavement licence. The Government has extended the temporary pavement licence provisions by a further 12 months until September 2023 ahead of making these changes permanent in the Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill.

How do I apply?

Pavement licences are managed by the Highways Department at the council. Enquiries can be emailed to LicensingEnquiries@salford.gov.uk

What will happen once I’ve applied?

  • There is a public consultation period of seven days beginning with the day after the day on which the application is made.
  • You will need to display a public notice at your premises advising people of your application to the council.
  • The council may grant the application as long as certain criteria are met (mainly the ability for pedestrian footfall to safely pass and re-pass the outside seating area).
  • Pavement licences in Salford can currently be issued for up to six months, or such time as the council specifies in the licence. The licence period cannot be less than three months.
  • The council may include conditions with the pavement licence which may be different to standard conditions for tables and chairs licences.
  • The council can also apply to revoke the licence if it considers the conditions have been breached or serve notice on the licence holder requiring specific actions.

What will it cost?

The council is waiving its fees for any temporary pavement licence applications.

What will I need to provide?

  • You will need to include a scale plan of the proposed licensed area with your application.
  • Details of the furniture and any barriers you are planning to use.
  • Confirmation of your public liability insurance (minimum £10 million) 

For further information and an application form, please contact LicensingEnquiries@salford.gov.uk

Rate this page