Independent planning advice

The council can only advise you in relation to its adopted planning policies. Our planning office at Salford Civic Centre is open to the public between the hours of 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday or you can email us at

Independent advisers

There are a variety of independent planning services available to applicants and their agents, offering professional advice to help submit a valid planning application or to assist in the case of appeals, etc.

The following organisations are nationally-recognised planning bodies and may be able to put you in touch with appropriate professionals:

Royal Town Planning Institute
This is the British planners professional body. It monitors and develops planning education and professional advice. The Institute can put you in touch with chartered town planners all over the UK.

26 Portland Place, London W1N 4BE
Telephone: 0207 636 9701

Planning Aid
This is a voluntary service offering free, independent and professional advice and support on town planning matters to community groups and individuals who cannot afford to employ a planning consultant. Over 500 RTPI Members volunteer their time and expertise through a UK wide network of 13 regional Planning Aid services; 10 of which are run by the RTPI and complemented by 3 independent charities in Greater London, Scotland and Wales.

Town and Country Planning Association
National voluntary organisation committed to improving planning standards and people's understanding of the planning system. The TCPA runs conferences, produces a monthly magazine and runs a planning bookshop.

17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AS
Telephone: 0207 930 8903

Royal Institute of British Architects
The professional body for architects in Britain has a comprehensive directory of over 4000 RIBA-registered architectural practices. You can search by name, location, size of project, sector or expertise, or type of service.

66 Portland Place, London W1B 1AD
Telephone: 0207 580 5533

Architects' Registration Board

If you are considering employing an architect ensure they are registered with the Architects’ Registration Board – the government body which maintains the Register listing every architect in the UK.’

Salford Citizens Advice Bureaux
If you have an enquiry of a general nature about the planning process, your local Citizens Advice Bureaux should be able to assist you or recommend an alternative independent adviser.

40-44 Church Street, Eccles M30 0DF
Telephone: 0844 826 9695

Rate this page