Help with funeral costs

Paying for a funeral is one of the most expensive ‘one off' items that you will have to pay for in your lifetime.

Where financial provisions have not been made to cover the costs, there may be ways of either reducing costs or seeking assistance to meet the costs. Salford City Council offers a fixed price, fair funeral service for Salford residents without any compromise on the quality of service provided.

If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, you could get a funeral payment. How much you get depends on your circumstances and if you qualify.

Your local Jobcentre Plus will deal with applications which can be made by using funeral payment claim form to seek assistance in paying for some of the funeral costs.

If the applicant making the funeral arrangements lives within the Salford district, then they may make an application if they are claiming at that time one of the following: Income Support, Income Based Sub Seekers Allowance, Housing or Council Tax Benefit or Upper Limit-Child Tax Credit.

Each application will be based on its own merit and a decision will be made within days which will enable you to make the appropriate funeral arrangements.

Pre-payment funeral plans

Most local funeral directors have a plan whereby the funeral arrangements can be made and the current cost of the funeral is paid at the time of making the arrangements.

The money is then invested on your behalf, so that when the death occurs and the pre-arranged funeral takes place, there is no additional money to be paid following the funeral.  

There are a number of national plans available and it would be advisable to call into one or two funeral directors' premises to seek further information and advice.

Support for child funeral costs

The Children's Funeral Fund for England can help to pay for some of the costs of a funeral for a child under 18 or a baby stillborn after the 24th week of pregnancy.

It is not means-tested: what you earn or how much you have in savings will not affect what you get.

The burial or cremation must take place in England.

What the fund covers

The Children's Funeral Fund for England can help pay for the:

  • Burial fees
  • Cremation fees, including the cost of a doctor's certificate
  • Coffin, shroud or casket (up to a cost of £300)

If you have other funeral expenses, you might be able to apply for Funeral Expenses Payment to cover them. You or your partner must be getting certain benefits - check if you're eligible for Funeral Expenses Payment.

How claiming works

The fees for the burial or cremation can be claimed directly by the burial or cremation provider - you should not be charged. How to claim for some other expenses (for example, the coffin) depends on if you are using a funeral director or not.

Claims must be made within six months of the funeral.

Visit GOV.UK for more information.

Who to contact

Agecroft Cemetery and Crematorium
Langley Road
M27 8SS
Map to this location
0161 686 7290
Rate this page