I am being abused

Sometimes it's difficult to know

  • Does your partner or ex-partner threaten you and your children?
  • Are you and your children often frightened by your partner?
  • Are you constantly degraded and picked on?
  • Are you not allowed to have contact with friends and family?
  • Does your partner constantly check where you have been, how much you spend, who you speak to?

Domestic abuse covers a range of behaviours including physical, emotional, sexual and financial abuse, within all types of relationships. This can include threats, constant criticism, isolation, money being controlled and forced sex.

What can I do?

If you are being abused it is useful to talk to someone about what has happened, even if you do not want to do anything about it. Often it is helpful to speak to someone and get some support for yourself. Getting someone to record the incidents will help you in the future if you do decide to take action.

Agencies to contact Telephone number

Safe in Salford domestic abuse support service

Safe in Salford is here for you if you are affected by domestic abuse. If you’re worried about feeling safe in your relationship talking to someone about how you’re feeling can be the first step to getting the right support.

Safe in Salford staff are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm 0161 793 3232 or email info@safeinsalford.org.uk. Staff aim to respond to phone messages within 24 hours and emails within 72 hours.

0161 793 3232
St Mary’s Sexual Assault Crisis Line  0161 276 6515
National Domestic Violence Helpline (24 hours) 0808 20 00 247
Victim Support 0845 30 30 900
In an emergency, Police 999
In a non-emergency, Police 0161 856 5171

For more information about domestic abuse and contacts please visit the GMP website.

Leave this page quickly

What if I just want to leave?

Salford City Council acknowledges domestic abuse as a reason for priority need. You can either go into a refuge, get re-housed through the council or move to private rented accommodation. You can contact Salford Housing Options Project (SHOP) for advice.

Making yourself a safety plan:

  • Do you have access to a phone?
  • Do your children know how to phone 999?
  • Can support agencies have a current number for you?

If you have to leave in an emergency, you will want the following things:

  1. A safe place to stay
  2. Money for transport and living expenses
  3. Mobile phone/tablet
  4. Essential documents -details of bank accounts, savings, mortgage or proof of tenancy and any documents which prove your identity or address
  5. A bag with essential clothes in (store at a friends place)
  6. Important papers (Child benefit/benefit information, wage slips, National Insurance number, passport, birth certificates, driving licence, legal documents)
  7. Phone numbers of friends, family and support services
  8. Any medicines
  9. Keys
  10. Any other sentimental items - toys and photos
Rate this page