The Local Government Ombudsman investigate complaints of injustice arising from maladministration by local authorities and certain other bodies.

The Local Government Ombudsmen in England deal with complaints from different parts of the country. They investigate complaints about most council matters including housing, planning, education, social services, consumer protection, drainage and council tax. The ombudsmen can investigate complaints about how the council has done something. But they cannot question what a council has done simply because someone does not agree with it.

A complainant must give the council concerned an opportunity to deal with a complaint against it first. It is best to use the council's own complaints procedure, if it has one. If the complainant is not satisfied with the action the council takes, he or she can send a written complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman, or ask a councillor to do so on their behalf.

The objective of the ombudsman is to secure, where appropriate, satisfactory redress for complainants and better administration for the authorities. Since 1989, the ombudsmen have had power to issue advice on good administrative practice in local government based on experience derived from their investigations.

The ombudsman who deals with Salford City Council can be contacted as below or text 'call back' to 0762 480 4323.

Who to contact

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Map to this location
0300 061 0614

This page was last updated on 8 February 2018

Rate this page