Advice and benefits for armed forces personnel

Members of the armed forces could become susceptible to financial pressures.

So we're determined to offer all the financial support we can to our armed forces colleagues. Below you will find a list of places that provide support.

Cost of living grants (Royal British Legion)

Armed Forces Unit 10 based at Victoria Lodge

Salford Veterans, based in the gatehouse in Victoria Park along with Community Social Inclusion Network offer help and support to the armed forces family.

Many of the veterans and their families they support do not want to ask for help. It takes courage to ask and Salford Veterans are always here ready and willing to support families at their time of need. Working closely with the council they work to relieve the needs of people who have served or who are serving members of the Armed Forces and their families, in particular by:

  • Providing support and inter agency working to tackle Homelessness
  • Providing support, advocacy and practical advice to tackle financial need
  • Providing and assisting in the provision of recreational facilities in the interests of social welfare

Contact Salford Veterans on 07713 333536 or email

Housing benefit and local council tax support

War pensions, military compensation payments including war disablement pensions, war widow pensions and armed forces compensation scheme payments will be disregarded when assessing entitlement to housing benefit and council tax reduction in Salford.

Salford Discretionary Support Scheme

Salford City Council is working with a number of organisations, including Citizens Advice Bureau, credit unions and third sector organisations to run the Salford Discretionary Support Scheme (SDSS) to provide assistance for vulnerable people who are on low incomes.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are normally a short-term payment from the council to provide extra help with your rent if needed. You don't have to repay a DHP. Consider applying if for example your rent shortfall is caused by the bedroom tax or benefit cap or other reduction in housing benefit. Housing Benefit should not be reduced due to the bedroom tax for a room usually occupied by a member of the armed forces who is serving away, providing they intend to return to your home.

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice Service 

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice Service can offer you free, confidential and independent advice on your welfare benefits, tax credits or debt problems.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau provides guidance and advice to the people of Salford on a whole range of issues.


The GOV.UK website provides a comprehensive list of potential benefits entitlement.

Royal British Legion

Royal British Legion offers a range of financial assistance services, including benefits and money advice, grants and loans. If you have a compensation claim arising from your service the legion can help you through the process under the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. Offer a handy van service which provides a free, dedicated handy person to carry out small home repairs and alterations, and to fit alarms and smoke detectors.

Pop in centres are the legion's new high street presence. Each centre offers a welcoming space for service personnel, veterans and their families to get practical help and advice. The nearest pop in centre is based at 59 Cross Street, Manchester M2 4JW.


SSAFA is a national charity that provides support to thousands of armed forces personnel and their families. The Salford branch can be contacted at or 0161 728 4809.

Salford Credit Union

Salford Credit Union is an easy not-for-profit way to save and borrow money. There are no external shareholders and all the cash stays in the community.

The MOD Army

The MOD Army provides details about support available.


VeteransUK provides a full range of information for people injured, disabled or bereaved by the service, including details of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, War Disablement Pensions and Armed Forces Pensions.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency Pensions Forms

Use these forms when claiming pensions under Armed Forces Pension Schemes 75 and 05.  

Army Families Federation 

Army Families Federation is independent of the army and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life.

Defence Discount Service

Members of the Defence Discount Service can get discounts at shops, restaurants and products sold online.

Disabilities and help with everyday living

The Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact to discuss your support needs on 0161 206 0604.

Please make yourself known to a member of the team that you are ex armed forces. Please note Salford disregards 100% of the following relation to charging for residential non residential services:

  • War Disablement Pension
  • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
  • War Widows Special Payment
  • Anything over the basic state pension rate of any war widows pension
  • Military compensation awards

Disabled Living is a charity based in Wardley that can advise you about disability equipment. You can try out some of the to see what might help best. They can be contacted on 0161 607 8200.

Rate this page