Residents parking permits

The council oversees residents' parking schemes across Salford, including the issuing of residential and visitor parking permits (where applicable) and on-street parking enforcement by Civil Enforcement Officers.

The scheme location descriptions given below are used as guidance only. Whilst you may live or be looking to live within the postcodes stated, this does not guarantee a property is eligible for the issue of permits for one of the stated scheme.

Enquiry regarding property eligibility for permit issue should be made with the local authority before making any commitments to residency in the city.

What you need to do to park in a scheme area

To park in a resident' permit holder area, you must either:

  • clearly display a paper permit in your vehicle's windscreen
  • or be registered with the council's digital permit service (offered through MiPermit)

If you are not issued with a paper permit (must be correctly and clearly displayed in a vehicle) or registered with digital parking permit (MiPermit), you must park elsewhere in an unrestricted part of the public highway or risk being issued with a Penalty Charge Notice.

How to apply for a permit

Check the schemes below to see if you need a paper or digital permit.

To apply for a new or replacement paper permit, please complete the downloadable form at the bottom of this page and either post to Parking Services or email it to

Before making an application for a paper permit, please check to see if your area is managed by digital permits first. We will explain how to apply for a digital permit further down this page.

Schemes that use paper permits:

  • Guild Avenue Permit Scheme (Walkden, M28)
  • Hope Phase 1, 2 and 3 Permit Schemes (Salford Royal Hospital Area)
  • Kersal (Salford City Stadium) Match Day Permit Scheme (Salford, M7)
  • Swinton Zone A and B Permit Schemes (Swinton, M27)
  • Walkden Community Parking Scheme (Walkden, M28)
  • Strawberry Road Permit Scheme (Salford, M6)
  • Eccles Residential Permit Scheme (Eccles, M30)
  • Egerton Road (Worsley, M28)
  • Devon Close/Park Place (Salford, M6)
  • Meadow Court (Salford, M6)

Digital permits

We've started to move from paper to digital permits. At the moment, there are only a few parking schemes which are available. However, more areas will be moving to digital permits - residents will be written to so they can register with the digital permit service and apply for a digital permit.

Benefits to both residents and Salford City Council by going digital include:

  1. 24-hour access by residents and council to the digital permitting platform meaning quicker turnaround of applications and response times to requests such as changes to residential permit VRMs.
  2. No more waiting for the post to deliver your permit or the council to receive your application.
  3. Safe and secure online payments.
  4. No more risk of permits being lost/unavailable due to not being returned by visitors/contractors.
  5. Eliminates Penalty Charge Notices unnecessarily being issued to residents’ vehicles for not displaying a valid permit when forgotten to be displayed (or when a permit falls from view, becomes obscured or is damaged).
  6. Saving the time to appeal penalties issued in these circumstances.
  7. Better management of ongoing eligible permit holders, ensuring maximum on-street space is available to eligible residents only.
  8. Significantly reduced carbon footprint due to reduced paper, ink usage and postal delivery.
  9. No longer a paper exercise, which can limit contact spread of infections and diseases.

Schemes that use digital permits:

  • Trinity Way Residents Permit Scheme (Salford, M3)
  • Fire Station Square Residents Permit Scheme (Salford, M5)
  • Crompton Street Residents Permit Scheme (Swinton, M27)
  • Salford Quays Residents Permit Scheme (The Quays, M50)
  • Doctors Bays Hodge Road Permit Scheme (Walkden, M28)
  • Barton Road Permit Scheme (Worsley M28)
  • Monton Zone A and B Permit Schemes (Eccles, M30)
  • Encombe Place/Bank Place (M3)
  • Merchants Quay (M50)

More schemes are to follow soon.

Applications for a digital residential parking permit can be made online using the MiPermit service 

  • If you don't have an account, please register with MiPermit by completing their new user form.
  • Additionally, if you are a new resident please firstly e-mail advising as such and a council officer will check to ensure permits are made available in MiPermit for an online application to be made and notify you when they are available to make your application

New user

  • Existing users can log-in directly to the Salford City Council page on MiPermit.

Existing user

For further information about your MiPermit account, please contact MiPermit Assistance:

If you have any other enquiries regarding digital permitting please contact the Parking Services team at providing details of your enquiry and full contact details. 

Requests for the introduction of a new residents' parking scheme may be made in writing to the traffic and transportation manager at the address below.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Who to contact

Remember you can contact us quicker, easier, better online.

Contact us online

Traffic Management
Technical Services
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AS
Map to this location

This page was last updated on 13 June 2023

Rate this page