Do I need approval for my building works?

Building work needing formal approval

General points are given below but for more information try the following links:

In general, most building work requires building regulation approval. This includes the:

  • erection of a new building or re-erection of an existing building
  • extension of a building
  • material alteration of a building
  • material change of use of a building
  • installation, alteration or extension of a controlled service or fitting to a building

Typical examples of work needing approval include:

  • home extensions such as: a kitchen, bedroom, lounge, larger conservatories
  • loft conversions
  • internal structural alterations, such as the removal of a load-bearing wall or partition
  • installation of certain heat producing appliances
  • new chimneys or flues
  • installation of baths, showers, WCs which involve new drainage or waste plumbing
  • underpinning of foundations
  • altered openings for new windows in roofs or walls
  • replacing roof coverings
  • installation of cavity insulation
  • erection of new buildings, that are not exempt
  • access improvements for disabled people
  • replacement windows  
  • most domestic electrical systems - new or replacement - inside or outside

House in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

Building control approval does not ensure that your property is HMO compliant. You will still need to ensure your HMO meets Salford’s HMO standards and management regulations. Find out more information on the HMO definition page.

Exemptions to the building regulations

There are certain buildings and works that are exempt from control. This is generally because they are buildings controlled by other legislation or are not normally occupied. These include:

  • small detached buildings
  • buildings not frequented by people
  • greenhouses and agricultural buildings
  • temporary buildings (temporary in this case means no more than 28 days)
  • certain porches and conservatories to dwellings (less than 30 square metres and subject to the installation of appropriate safety glazing)

Non-compliance with the building regulations

We prefer to work with you to meet minimum acceptable building standards, rather than take action for a breach of the regulations.

However contravention of the building regulations could be a criminal offence and action could be taken under the Building Act 1984.

We are here to help you. Should you have a problem in complying with building standards, please contact us as soon as possible and we will endeavour to help you 'engineer' an appropriate solution.

If you are in any doubt please contact us with details of your particular proposal.

Who to contact

Remember you can contact us quicker, easier, better online.

Contact us online

This page was last updated on 1 May 2024

Rate this page