Making a complaint to children's services

Most problems and misunderstandings can be sorted out quickly by talking to your child's class teacher or the headteacher. Hopefully the problem can be resolved at this point.

If you're not happy with the response you get, make an appointment to speak to the headteacher. The meeting should be at a time that's convenient to both of you. Before you go to the meeting with the headteacher think about what you want to get out of it. This could be an apology, action to be taken or both. If you're still not happy after the meeting, ask for a copy of the school's complaints procedure.

A formal written complaint will be investigated by the the chair of governors. 

The Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) also offers advice on many topics, including bullying, special educational needs and school admission appeals. Their website contains lots of information and advice.

How to contact ACE

By post:
The Advisory Centre for Education
36 Nicholay Road
N19 3EZ

Telephone: 0208 407 5142

Curriculum complaints

These are dealt with by the assistant director of Children's Services who is responsible for schools and learning development. Curriculum complaints have their own statutory procedure. Any curriculum complaints should be sent in the first instance to the assistant director of Children's Services.

Suspected child abuse

These matters are dealt with by the Bridge Partnership who can be contacted by telephone on 0161 603 4500 or by email

Complaints about any service provided by Children's Services

If you wish to make a complaint, comment or compliment on any of our services, you can do so online.

Make a complaint, comment or compliment

This page was last updated on 28 November 2019

Rate this page