Consumer advice

We are unable to provide advice to consumers, all consumer complaints are dealt with by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service.

Make a complaint

To make a consumer complaint or to report a trader, scam or unfair trading practice you can contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06 or use the Citizens Advice online form.

Further information

The Citizens Advice website, operated by the Citizens Advice Bureau contains a wealth of information on how to resolve problems.

The Citizens Advice Consumer Service operates Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm (excluding public holidays).

The textphone number is 18001 03454 04 05 06.

How we work

The Citizens Advice Consumer Service works closely with us and all information they receive is passed to the trading standards team for further action or intelligence purposes.

Salford trading standards team targets its enforcement activities at traders who are persistently placing consumers' safety or finances or both at risk by breaching consumer protection laws.

Although this may mean your individual complaint is not investigated, please be assured that the information you provide is important and allows us to take the right decisions about the traders who are subject to formal investigation.

Frequently asked questions

What if I just want to report something to, or discuss a problem with trading standards.
If you don't require advice you can report the issue online, if you want to discuss a problem then you should contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. They will share information with the trading standards team and pass on the information you have. They can provide expert and impartial advice by phone and online.

What does trading standards do with this information?
All information is valuable and is evaluated to tackle the most serious problems at local, regional and national levels.

Will trading standards contact me?
Trading standards will contact consumers during the course of ongoing criminal investigations into traders breaching consumer protection laws and where the Citizens Advice Consumer Service has made a commitment that contact will be made. But contact in relation to individual complaints will not ordinarily occur because the provision of consumer advice is a function of the Citizens Advice Consumer Service.

What if I have already contacted the Citizens Advice Consumer Service?
You can contact them again for further advice or you may be able to obtain further advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

This page was last updated on 23 March 2017

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK