Frequently asked questions about taxis and private hire vehicles

Please check our coronavirus updates section on this page for changes to regular business practices

General questions

How do I apply for a private hire or hackney carriage badge?

To become a taxi driver with Salford City Council, you can make an application online.

The total cost for a licence application is £279, not including the fee that is paid to your GP for the medical report required once all tests have been completed. 

How do I renew my private hire or hackney carriage badge licence?

You can book an appointment online to renew your badge.

If you are over the age of 64 you will need to contact to book your appointment.

Renewal appointments are held every Tuesday and Thursday except for public holidays.

Tips for registering and managing your online account:

When registering your new account:

  • Make your log-in details as simple as possible. Don’t use spaces in your username or password.
  • Try and make your password something memorable to you.
  • Make sure you have a good, stable internet connection when you are registering your account.

Help is available for managing your online account:

Find out how to reset your password:

If you continue having difficulties registering or logging into your account you can attend one of our local Gateway Centres for assistance:

Get important coronavirus updates for Gateway Centres.

How do I apply for an operator’s licence?

You can apply to become an operator online.

Further information on operator’s licences can be found in our Taxi Licensing Policy.

I have changed my address. How do I update my licence?

You will need to make sure you have amended your DVLA licence before we can issue updated taxi licences.

Please send us a picture of your DVLA licence with the new address and we will update your badge and vehicle licences. 

How do I renew my taxi vehicle licence?

You can renew your vehicle online.

It costs £73 to renew a private hire vehicle and £147 to renew a hackney carriage vehicle. Once you have received approval for your vehicle you will need to go online to book a compliance test with VMS for an additional £50 (not including retests).

You will not be able to proceed with your vehicle test if you do not make the application to renew your vehicle beforehand.

How do I apply to licence a new taxi vehicle with Salford?

You can apply for a new taxi vehicle licence online.

You will need to provide the full V5 document for your vehicle before your application can be accepted.

Please ensure your vehicle meets our taxi licensing standards before making your application. You can find more information about the minimum requirements for a new vehicle licence in our Taxi Licensing Policy.

My taxi vehicle has been in an accident. What do I do?

You need to report the accident to us within 72 hours of the accident occurring. You can report the accident online.

This form is only for the use of owners/drivers of hackney carriage or private hire vehicles licensed with Salford City Council. 

How do I make a complaint about a taxi vehicle?

If the taxi vehicle is licensed with Salford City Council you can make a complaint online.

Please include as much information as possible regarding your complaint.

How do I transfer a taxi vehicle licence?

If you have purchased a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licensed with Salford from another driver, you will need to transfer the licence into your name.

Please complete the transfer form below and return it to Licensing by email to

Once the form has been received, we will contact you to make payment of the £10 fee over the phone by debit or credit card.

Coronavirus updates

Guidance for taxi drivers working during the coronavirus pandemic:

Get information about working safely

Is the Civic Centre open?

The Civic Centre remains closed to the public and will do so until further notice. Please do not attend as you will be turned away.

Any queries or concerns should be directed to the Licensing Department by email at

Do I need to wear a face mask while working?

No information has been published suggesting that it is compulsory for the taxi trade to wear face masks.

You can find further information regarding working safely from a vehicle on GOV.UK.

Can I put a screen in my private hire vehicle while I am working?

The decision to install a screen during the current pandemic will be a matter for vehicle owners, drivers and operators to consider.  We want to support our licensees by providing the option to install screens if you deem it a necessary part of your risk assessment.

We ask that the guidance below is considered if you decide to install a screen:

Do I still need to renew my badge licence?

If your private hire or hackney driver licence is due to expire this year you will need to renew your badge as normal to remain licensed. You can book an appointment online.

If you are over the age of 64 please contact to arrange your appointment.

Under the current circumstances no appointments will be taken in the office. Instead you will be emailed with further details the day prior to your appointment and you will receive a phone call at the date and time you book to complete the renewal remotely.

You will still need to provide a medical report if you are due one. We now accept medical reports completed by the following:

  • Your own GP
  • Any GP as long as they have access to your medical records or a summary of your medical records
  • Any third-party medical supplier as long as they have access to your medical records or a summary of your medical records

If you are unable to obtain a medical from your current GP please explore the other two options. We are no longer accepting self-declarations of medical fitness.

Do I still need to renew my vehicle licence?

You will need to renew your vehicle as normal at the full cost of £73 for a private hire vehicle and £147 for a hackney carriage. You can do so at the link below:

You will not be able to present the vehicle for testing under the current restrictions until after 21 September 2020.

Once you have received notification that your application has been approved please contact VMS at to obtain an exemption certificate for the vehicle plate.

When will VMS reopen?

Vehicle Management Services (VMS) will reopen for taxi compliance testing on Monday 21 September.

You will be able to access the online booking system for vehicle renewal test appointments from Monday 10 August. However, if your vehicle is due for renewal in the week commencing 21 September, you will be contacted directly with a pre-booked appointment for that week.

Any vehicle that is due for renewal before 21 September, will renew online as normal, and will need to collect an exemption certificate.

Any vehicle that is due for renewal after 21 September will need to renew their licence and book a compliance test as normal.

Anyone wanting to licence a new vehicle will be able to make an application and access the online booking system from 21 September.

My application for a new taxi driver badge was suspended because of the coronavirus. Do I need to book another appointment?

Any appointments for pre-assessments or Knowledge and Conditions tests that were booked prior to the lockdown will be rescheduled for a later date. The £50 fee you have already paid will be retained for this new appointment; no additional fee is necessary.

Any applicants that are in the process of an application to become a licenced driver with Salford City Council will be contacted when bookings are available again.

When can I book a new pre-assessment and knowledge and conditions test?

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, face-to-face pre-assessment and the knowledge and condition tests are currently suspended. We are working hard to make arrangements to restart these tests in a covid safe manner and once we have a re-opening date, we will open up the online booking system. Please continue to check our website for further updates. 

Rate this page