Roadworks and road closures

Sometimes, works on the highway, or some large deliveries, require a road to be closed temporarily to general traffic. Such closures require a traffic regulation order issued by the highway authority.

All costs involved for both the closure and diversion signing will have to be met by the person requesting the closure.

As there is a legal and consultative process to be undertaken, at least eight weeks' notice of closure is required (in some cases up to three months will be needed in order to publicise a diversionary route effectively).

These pages provide information on types of closure that are possible and the steps that need to be taken to effect them.