Road closure due to redevelopment work

If the reason for a road closure is that it is required to accommodate redevelopment, etc, for which planning approval has already been granted, the applicant will have to contact the government Office for the north west, who represent the Secretary of State.

The proposed closure will be processed under Section 247 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

There is no charge for a road closure under Section 247.

Who decides?

The decision lies with the Secretary of State. He decides whether or not the affected highway can be closed or diverted.


In all cases proposed closures are subject to consultation and objections may be received from interested parties opposing such proposals.

Objections to the closure may be received from:

  • Various bodies who may oppose the closure proposal (Ramblers Association, etc)
  • Utility companies (eg United Utilities) who have apparatus in the road that may require diversion, etc. The applicant will have to pay for this work if the closure is granted

Who to contact

National Transport Casework team
Tyneside House
Skinnerburn Road
Newcastle Business Park
Newcastle upon Tyne
Map to this location
0207 944 4115
Rate this page