Permanent road closures

There may be instances when permanent closures of the highway are either necessary or desirable.

A permanent road closure can be processed under two acts of Parliament:

  1. The Highways Act 1980
  2. The Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Closure due to the highway being unnecessary

If the reason for the closure is that the highway is deemed unnecessary and there is a nearer or more appropriate alternative route available to the public, the highway authority can apply to a magistrates' court, on behalf of an applicant, for an order to stop the highway under Section 116 to 119 of the Highways Act 1980.

Salford City Council charges £955.29 to process a closure by this method.


In all cases proposed closures are subject to consultation and objections may be received from interested parties opposing such proposals.

Objections to the closure may be received from:

  • Various bodies who may oppose the closure proposal (Ramblers Association, etc)
  • Utility companies (eg United Utilities) who have apparatus in the road that may require diversion, etc. The applicant will have to pay for this work if the closure is granted

Salford City Council will make the final decision as to whether an application will be heard by magistrates.

Other permanent closures

The following closures can be processed under Section 257 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

If your application requires the closure of:

  • A public right of way (public footpath or bridleway) - please refer to our rights of way information
  • An adopted footway or passageway (which cannot be used for vehicular access) please contact us for guidance

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Rate this page