|Area||30.9 hectares (76.4 acres)|
|Listed building entries||15|
The Crescent conservation area lies on the A6 corridor to the south of the River Irwell bounded by Oldfield Road to the east, Hulme Street and the main railway line from Manchester to the south and the University of Salford campus to the west. The conservation area extends up the western side of the River Irwell as far as Frederick Road to the north, encompassing Peel Park and the David Lewis recreation ground. A map showing the boundary of the conservation area is available to download at the bottom of the page.
The area is closely associated with the Adelphi/Bexley Square conservation area in that they both contain townhouses built by entrepreneurs and businessmen so that they could be relatively close to their city centre businesses. The grade II listed crescent of houses, from which the road and conservation area derive their names, are a good example and stand as a monument to the entrepreneurs who lived there and helped the city to prosper.
The Royal Art Gallery and Museum was built originally as an extension to Lark Hill House which once stood on the top of the escarpment overlooking Peel Park. It was the first unconditionally-free public library established by a municipal authority in Great Britain and it opened in January 1850.
The Statues of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, situated on the lawn in front of the art gallery, commemorate their royal visit to Salford in 1851. Joule House in Acton Square was the home of James Prescott Joule who gave his name to the electrical unit of work.
In May 2008, the council adopted an appraisal for the Crescent conservation area. This defines what is important about its character and appearance and identifies its special characteristics. It provides a basis for making decisions about the future management of the conservation area, helping to determine what might be appropriate development in and around its boundary. The conservation area appraisal and its associated documents are available to download at the bottom of the page.
As part of the appraisal of the Crescent conservation area, consideration was given to the review of its boundary. In May 2008 the boundary was extended northwards to include Peel Park and the David Lewis recreation ground. Peel Park was Salford's first public park, and was a key element in the development of the Crescent during the mid 19th century. Peel Park represented a revolutionary approach to social provision and urban life in Salford, with its design being radical for the time. The park was extended on numerous occasions and in 1910 to 1912 this included the area now known as the David Lewis recreation ground.
|Listed building entries within the conservation area||Grade|
|Joule House, 48 and 49 the Crescent, 1 Acton Square||II|
|22-34 the Crescent||II|
|Former Nurses Home, 51 the Crescent||II|
|Gazebo to East of Peel Building, the Crescent||II|
|K6 Telephone Kiosk Adjacent to Albion Place, the Crescent||II|
|Peel Building, the Crescent||II|
|Statue of Queen Victoria, the Crescent||II|
|Statue of Prince Albert, the Crescent||II|
|Royal Art Gallery, Museum and Library, the Crescent||II|
|War Memorial in Albion Place, the Crescent||II|
|1 Massey Street||II|
|1 Hulme Place||II|
|17 the Crescent||II|
|19,20 and 21 the Crescent||II|
|2,4, and 6 Acton Square||II|
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Remember you can contact us quicker, easier, better online.
This page was last updated on 7 April 2016