|Area||4.17 hectares (10.32 acres)|
|Listed building entries||3|
The conservation area contains Monton Green, the grade II* listed Unitarian Church, a former school with caretaker's house, a lodge built in 1875 to the Earl of Ellesmere's former estate and a club-house with bowling green. A map showing the boundary of the conservation area is available to download at the bottom of the page.
The green, once used as common land, is now formally laid out as gardens and lawns. In 1895 the use of Monton Green was conveyed to Eccles Corporation with the condition that the corporation "would not permit or suffer the land to be used in a manner that public worship or religious instruction in Monton Church or the Sunday school attached to it should be in any way restricted, disturbed or interfered with".
In addition, Eccles Corporation was bound to maintain the roads around and across the Green, which were dedicated to public use to remain forever thereafter open.
The character of the open area is defined by the group of high quality buildings referred to earlier, that are complemented by the mature trees on the green.
The grade II* listed Unitarian Church, built between 1873 and 1875, replaced Monton Chapel, built in 1697. The tower and steeple are separate from the main body of the church as they were an afterthought and not part of the original plan. They house the bell from the original chapel. Despite being offered a peal of new bells, it was considered more appropriate to retain the old bell and thus the link to the chapel; and its worshipers.
The grade II listed lychgate at Monton Unitarian Church was erected in 1895 in memory of Henry Leigh.
An infant school was opened in 1848 and the principles on which it was managed led to it taking a high place amongst local educational institutions, especially after it became a school for infants plus older children.
The present grade II listed memorial schools were built circa 1864 in memory of Mr and Mrs J Booth and of Silas, Lucy and Esther Leigh who had done so much for the children of the church.
|Listed building entries within the conservation area||Grade|
|Monton Unitarian Church, Monton Green||II*|
|Former Monton Memorial Schools, Stablefield Avenue||II|
|Lychgate at Monton Unitarian Church, Monton Green||II|
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Remember you can contact us quicker, easier, better online.
This page was last updated on 7 April 2016