What is an overpayment?

An overpayment is when more benefit is awarded than someone is entitled to (this can happen when somebody doesn't tell us about a change in their circumstances). This includes any benefit that has been paid to a claimant or their landlord or any amount that has been credited directly to a rent account.

Reporting a change in circumstances

It is very important that you let us know immediately if you have a change in your circumstances, as this could stop you from being overpaid. It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstance that affects your benefit entitlement. Court action may be taken against you if you fail to tell us. For further information on how to tell us about any changes and examples of the type of changes that you need to report, see our changes in circumstances page.

How to repay your overpayment?

You can make repayments with your credit or debit card, through the BACS system, by cheque or with cash. Listed below are full details of each repayment method.

Internet payments
Salford City Council operates a secure online payments service where you can make repayments online using a debit or credit card. You will need to quote your invoice number (a nine digit number starting with 7) to make your payment.

Telephone payments - automated payments service
You can use our automated telephone payments service to make repayments using a debit or credit card. This facility is available 24 hours a day on 0300 456 0645.

Bankers automated clearing services (BACS)
Payment can be made directly from your bank or building society account. Please quote the following bank details for Salford City Council:

  • Sort code: 20-54-66
  • Account number: 93073130
  • Your invoice number (a nine digit number starting with a 7)

Debit or credit card
Payment can be made by debit or credit card at any of our Gateway centres and the Broughton Hub. Please see our council buildings and venues page for locations and opening times.

Post Office
You can make repayments at the Post Office by presenting your bar-coded invoice with your payment. Payment at the Post Office may be made by debit card, cheque (made payable to 'Post Office Limited') or in cash. This is a free service.

Cash payments can be made at any PayPoint outlet in the UK using your bar-coded invoice. This is a free service.

Payment by post
If you wish to pay by cheque please make it payable to ‘Salford City Council', write your invoice number on the back and post it to:

Chief Finance Officer
Salford City Council
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

No receipts are given for payments by post.

Payment difficulties?

If you are experiencing difficulties in repaying your overpayment, please contact us as soon as possible. Do not wait for a reminder letter to arrive before contacting us.

We are here to help you, particularly when circumstances are difficult to overcome on your own. Please use our struggling to pay form.

Struggling to pay form

 See our advice sessions page for details of ways to get help and advice if you're struggling with money or having problems with your rent or council tax.

What to do if you think the overpayment decision is wrong

If you think the decision is wrong, you should get in touch with us within one month from the date of the benefit decision notice or we may not be able to consider any dispute.

You can contact us by writing to:

Chief Finance Officer
Salford City Council
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

You can:

  • Ask for an explanation
  • Ask us to look at the decision again
  • Appeal against the decision - this can only be in writing. If you appeal against the decision an independent tribunal administered by the Appeals Service will hear your appeal

This page was last updated on 8 November 2023

Rate this page