HMRC online training for childminders

If you are currently working for yourself as a registered childminder, or are thinking of becoming one, you will need to consider how, as a self employed business, you will meet the requirements of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for taxation and National Insurance purposes.

As a self employed individual you will be responsible for your own taxes and to help you, HMRC have a large selection of e-learning activities, workshops and tools to help you with topics such as business records, expenses and National insurance.

Starting your own business

HMRC have an easy to use e-learning activity dedicated to helping you get off to a great start with your new business. The 'starting your own business' online presentation covers a number of topics, including:

  • Informing HMRC about your business
  • National Insurance contributions
  • Record keeping
  • Business expenses
  • Self assessment
  • Growing your business, including VAT and employing staff

The e-learning activity is designed specifically for childminders and early years providers. You can stop the activity at any time, and return again later if you would like to review anything.

Useful tools

The HMRC website has useful tools to assist with other taxation related questions or queries:

  • Ready reckoner is useful for calculating how much you should save towards tax and National Insurance
  • HMRC webinars include topics such as self assessment, record keeping and expenses
  • Record keeping to help with keeping your records in order

Social media

You can find HMRC on a variety of social media outlets:

Help and support

If you have any queries with regards to self employment, or your tax liabilities as a childminder, you can contact the HMRC self employment helpline on 0300 200 3300 or visit the HMRC website.

Rate this page