Council tax support

Helping you with the cost of living banner and Spirit of Salford logo

If you’re struggling with council tax payments, there is help available to get you Back on Track. The service may be able to change or extend your payment plan, check if you’re entitled to benefits, Council Tax reduction or other discounts or exemptions.

If you wish to apply for a reduction to your bill, Salford City Council offers information on the different discounts available. This includes:

  • Applying for Council Tax Reduction can help you if you are on a low income to pay your bill. The service will work out how much you are entitled to by looking at who lives with you, how much income and savings you have and how much your council tax bill is.
  • Discounts and exemptions are often available if you live alone, are a student or a carer, plus a range of other exemptions can be found on the site.
  • You may be able to get temporary help with your council tax if you are in financial hardship through Discretionary Council Tax Discount.
  • If you are disabled, or have a disabled person living with you, you may be able to reduce your council tax bill through disability reduction.

Contact us as soon as possible on 0161 793 2500 if you’re finding it hard to pay your bill and need help and support. There are a number of ways to stop things escalating and leading to unpleasant actions and costs.

Rate this page